Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Things I learned today ...

badfriends


* Although domestic cats (many of which are feral) are estimated to kill millions of wild birds each year, more birds meet their untimely demise as a result of building collisions.

* I like to lessen my own culpability in ecosystem damage.

* Bells on collars do not prevent cats from killing wildlife; some studies suggest that the bells may even condition the animals be more efficient at silently stalking their prey.

* Again with the minimizing of pet-owner responsibility.

* Cats are the Zebra muscle of the domesticated animal world -- an invasive species..

* And that catbird I managed to wrestle from her terrible claws will probably die anyway.

Crap.

Oh, wait. There is an upside:

* A "University tested" and humane way to protect songbirds AND humiliate their would-be killers: The Cat Bib.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Heather said...

OMG... a WHAT? That is the craziest looking thing I have ever seen. In all those pictures those cats have looks on their faces like please... someone help me.

I grew up in the country on a farm so I was 20 before I ever heard someone say anything bad about a cat killing a bird. For us, it was just what they did. There were 100 other birds out there for each one they killed.

July 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home