Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Date Night definitions

Date Night 99/365

"Who's David Sedaris?" I was asked as I scrambled to procure a sitter for the kids on the night he played The Palace Theatre in Albany.

"Oh ... he's kind of a literary humorist, part social commentator, part memoirist," I replied.

It was apparent by the silence that followed the questioner wanted more information.

"But what does he write?"

"Well. ... He's this guy who tears a page out of life, puts it through a shredder and then takes each individal piece and crumbles them up. He then carefully smoothes out the pieces and weaves them back together in some elaborate order that is not apparent to you. He asks you to hold it for a second, as a favor, while he rips up another page. And as you stare at this weird thing in your hands you suddenly have two distincly separate but connected understandings: 'modern art isn't really elitist after all' ... and 'my five-year-old can't do this'."

More silence.

"Ok. So ... I'll just Google him then?"

"Probably best."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Just One Foot said...

I LOVE David Sedaris and am so happy for you that you're going! I have listened to his live recordings on the way down to NYC in the past weeks. He cracks me up every time.

Have FUN!

Judy Berna

April 14, 2010 at 2:52 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home