Monday, April 12, 2010

A world apart but not so far away ...



Some friends and I donate a small amount of money each month to a small charity to support a little girl in Kyrgyzstan. Most of us have extra money we waste on things that bring us no lasting pleasure. This money, however, was to help her with food, clothes and schooling. Basic needs we take for granted. It's not a hardship for us to send off small bits of money into the world, it deserves no praise.

On April 6th a demonstration in protest of government corruption in that country turned violent and riots broke out. The violence spread nationwide. The country is now in the midst of revolution. All we could do was wait for news we hoped was good.

I learned today, our girl did not survive.

It's hard to wrap my head around the loss, a seeming world away from ours.

Her name was Cholponou.

I will hug my daughter extra hard tonight because of her.