Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hand-me-downs



Every now and again I look down as I'm typing and I don't recognize my own hands.

I'm familiar with the tiny scar on the knuckle of my right ring finger, an accident from a summer job in my teenage years that could have been so much worse. You can barely see it now it's blended in with the folds of the skin.

I recognize the shapes of the fingertips; as I obsessively check them for curves and bulges that come with age. Was that always like that, I wonder? And then admit that it must have been.

There are now veins where I wanted them to be ... way back when I thought pronounced lines would make my hands look strong; less like they belonged on a portrait from the Middle Ages.

Now they are middled aged.

The skin of my hands is dryer; little lines more pronounced even as the overall appearance seems shiny under the right light. An odd combination.

They are showing their age; possibly moreso than even my face.

Sometimes I forget I'm not 20 ... until I look in the mirror.

And I remember.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bert said...

What a lovely post! I've often had similar moments while driving. My hands on the steering wheel look so much older than I feel. And yet, sometimes, it makes me feel so confident that I can handle things.

May 19, 2009 at 3:23 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home