Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hang ups ...

Illustration? Seriously. If I were a *real* designer I'd be a little miffed at how Photoshop did this in one click. #talentlesshack

Have to admit, I'm a little sad that the baby days are behind me. The not having a fundus to measure makes every annual visit that much more bleak.

But that little hang up isn't really what I'm kvetching about today.

Today I'm interested in the picture at the top of this post.

I took this with a camera phone, ran it through Photoshop and voila! Instant illustration. While I'm amazed and excited about this discovery, I'm also a a little terrified at what it heralds. The devaluation of true talent by technology.

A few years from now the guy who repairs the car will be doing heart bypass surgery as a lucrative little side business.


So.

What's your Hang Up?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Bill said...

While I can use the same effects on my photos, they can't replace true talent. Sure, it'll make my mediocre pictures look neat, but it's always going to be about composition. It's either in the picture or it isn't. It's in your pictures.

September 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM 
Anonymous toyfoto said...

I do agree with a part of that, Bill. Talent is talent. But I also have some kind of Industrial revolution/50s cold-war fear going on about machine replacing man. Everything bigger, faster, less expensive. The prediction probably is overreaching whatever the eventuality is, but I sure does make me feel as if true talent is going to be some quaint bit of nostalgia at some point in time.

September 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM 
Anonymous Bill said...

Nah, even in Star Trek there are captains and there are red shirts. I think eventually the technology will indeed make the less talented seem talented, but the talented will also get a bump and seem super-talented. Boy, that still sounds weird, and I've rewritten it about a million times. If only there were some computer that could write that sentence for me, I'd be set. ;)

September 19, 2010 at 2:54 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home