Thursday, June 24, 2010

Just like riding a bike

standing ride 167/365

Truth be told, I've been feeling guilty as a parent.

She's half-past six and she's never really ridden a trike, let alone a two (plus two) wheeler.

When she'd learned her cousin, a full year younger, had just graduated from training wheels she was distraught.

It was our laziness that was to blame.

Not only hadn't we pushed her in the direction of kidley arts, we hadn't introduced her to many either. Oh we had the stuff ... much of it handed down from people whose kids were well beyond the tyke bike years ... but we hadn't made time for testing them out.

Lord knows, last thing I wanted to do on a weekend was figure out how to restore an old bike.

As I watched other kids in the neighborhood master their bikes, I worried my lack of motivation would hold keep her from every being motivated. Still, I shrugged my shoulders and pushed it all out of my mind.

It wasn't until she helped her dad pick out a bike for her BABY BROTHER that the desire to ride really ignighted.

And ... off she went.

As it turns out, when kids are ready there's no stopping them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

My little boy is just about to turn two, so I know I still have a little time on my hands as far as teaching him how to ride a bike. Thanks for the tip--you're right. When they're ready, they're ready!

June 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home