Monday, April 27, 2009

She's all about haut cuisine ...


annabel made dinner, originally uploaded by toyfoto.



My father called me one evening last week, a little while after the kids had gone to bed, to warn me of something he had done that *could, potentially, perhaps, most likely, but maybe not* cause a problem. It was something he thought that I should know about so I could be on lookout for trouble …

Got it?

Yeah, neither did I.

What could possibly be WORSE than teaching a then-three-year-old to open the refrigerator by herself? … Or swing down the staircase one step at a time holding on to the handrail? … Or to unlatch her own seatbelt? What could be worse than realizing she’d dialed Guam instead of Gram when the phone bill arrives?


PAPA: “Well, I let her use a sharp knife to cut carrots and strawberries. …

Then there was a pause …

ME: “Ok?”

PAPA: “… by herself. … But I told her she’s NOT to try it without mom or dad watching.”

ME: “Oh … I’m not worried,” I lied, thinking immediately of the scar I’d gotten while trying to cut apples when I was seven – two years older than Ittybit.

PAPA: “She was so pleased with herself.”

I was thinking of this little exchange Sunday evening as we were returning home from the second of two weekend parties for newly five-year-old friends.

ME: “I have a great idea!” I said with the borrowed enthusiasm of a game-show host. “Why don’t YOU make dinner tonight?”

HER: SILENCE.

I’m guessing now the lack of response was the disbelief that some unmentioned DREAM was FINALLY coming true, because when we got home she went straight to work …

Assembling leftovers from the refrigerator into one of the most artful (not to mention tasty) meals ever served in our home.

And then, while I was putting Silas to sleep, she decided to tackle dessert: “Sliced Strawberries on Oreos.”

Yet, because I wasn’t watching, the knife she used to slice the strawberries was of the butter variety.

Now I know I’m biased, but I don't think you can blame me for thinking she really is the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home